Empowering Entrepreneurs to Make a Difference
The Initiators Fellowship serves as a launching pad for the next cohort of Greater Minnesota change agents.
A group of up to seven Fellows will be selected from a pool of applicants who are in the process of starting a social enterprise (PDF) and who live in the participating Minnesota Initiative Foundation regions, representing 41 counties in Greater Minnesota.
The program runs for two years, culminating in a December 2021 graduation. The goal is to strengthen each Fellow’s leadership within their respective communities and to support the growth and development of their social enterprise ideas. The application process for the next Initiators Fellowship cohort will open in spring 2021.
Becoming a Fellow
Are you an entrepreneur eager to tackle a social challenge?
The Fellowship is designed for idea stage, high-potential entrepreneurs who are eager to tackle a social challenge and pursue leadership growth. In addition to an annual $30,000 stipend, Fellows benefit from supportive programming, educational opportunities and a resource-rich ecosystem of experts, including dedicated staff and mentors.
Applicants typically are at an early stage in developing their social enterprise idea. Early-stage development means applicants have, at the very least, identified a particular social problem that they feel passionate about addressing and have developed a working model for a potential solution. They may also have started testing their hypothesis, and may even have early results, proof of concept or revenue. Usually, they will be in the first few years of their enterprise development. Ventures may be for-profit or nonprofit. The key is that their operating model has meaningful revenue generation and a path to financial sustainability.
Most individuals who are in the process of starting a social enterprise are eligible to apply. There is no nomination process. Applicants should fit within the following criteria:
- You must be at least 18 years old by the start of the Fellowship cycle.
- You can be a recent college graduate, a young professional, mid-career or in your encore years; we welcome social entrepreneurs from all ages and stages of life.
- Partnership enterprises are allowed, but only an individual partner with controlling interest may apply for the Fellowship.
- You must live within one of the three participating Minnesota Initiative Foundation regions, or within a tribal nation adjacent to one of the three defined regions for the two-year duration of the Fellowship term. Applicants must also be committed to remaining within the region or tribal nation for the long-term.
- You must have English-language proficiency; all programming will take place in English.
- United States citizens, nationals, lawful permanent resident aliens and persons legally residing within the region and who have the following legal residency classifications are eligible to apply: refugee, asylum or asylee, temporary protected status or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status.
- Diversity is a core program value. Women, non-binary people, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, ability, economic status, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
The application period has ended and will reopen for the next cohort in spring 2021.
Have an Idea?
Your Mentor: A Guiding Hand
C-suite skills, talents bring a wealth of support to Fellows